Saturday, November 13, 2010

The end can also means a start

When I begin to write this post, I feel some pain in my heart. This blog post marks the end of this module. However, I think it is also the beginning of our way to enhance our soft skills. I heard of one saying that really describes my feeling: “When in retrospect, what you really value and feel happy is not the happiest time you experience, but the time when you put a lot of effort in and the time sometimes even makes you feel pains that you will remember and appreciate about”.
This module is actually an extra module for me and I do not need its 4MC. Some people might ask, why you give yourself some extra work to do? I think I choose the module because I think it is the time I need to enhance my soft skills.  During my four years study in the Faulty of Engineering, I feel there is no module designed to enhance my soft skills. There is no attention paid to the language usage and presentation skill even though we do have projects.  As English is my second language, I feel it remains an obstacle for me in every aspects of my life. Thus I decide to take the module and enhance my communication skills.
Though this semester I have some improvement in the following aspects:
1). Written Skill
I have to admit that my writing skill was quite bad at the beginning and even if I have some improvement, it is still far from a satisfactory level and I have a long way to go. I think the blogs contribute much to this improvement. It seems it is the first time I write in English to express feelings and thoughts. All the reports I have written before are technical and I have not paid attention to the language at all. It is until the blog post that I realize I feel some difficulty in expressing myself in English. I tried to alter the words and sentences to find the best way and I checked my post for language mistakes before posting.
2). Spoken language
I also have to admit my spoken language is far from good. For the projects and discussion I have in my engineering modules, I tend to group myself with my Chinese friends thus the language is purely Chinese. I choose this module because I know there is no one I knew and I force myself to speak more in English with classmates. I feel I have improvement a lot through this semester through chats and presentation. Especially for the preparation of peer teaching and final presentation, I force myself not to memorize it but to think and speak on the way.
3). Presentation Skill
Through learning, practicing and feedback, I think my presentation skill have improved a lot. By watching the video of Ken Robinson and Steve Jobs, I have some ideas of a good presentation. By watching the video of myself, I found weak points that I can never realize. The three steps cycle repeats for peer teaching and final presentation and I think it is really an effective way to improvement.
4). Team Work
I think Brad does an excellent job in grouping us, by which I mean we have different team members for different projects and we also sit in different groups during class. I think it is a good way to force us to meet and communicate with different classmates. Though working with different persons, I have learnt how teamwork and team building is important and how to communicate, negotiate when some problems arise.
5). Resume, Application Letter and Interview Skills
 While this may seem not so important to some of our classmates, I really want to tell you from a ‘senior’ prospective that it is indeed useful when you are in my stage trying to find a job. I am busy with job application this semester and until now I realize how hard you need to try to get only one of interview opportunity and how hard you need to try if you want to stand out during this interview. The peer review of resume and application letters, peer teaching on interview skills and mock interview have gained me a lot.
Some final thoughts:
I really think this is an excellent module. Although there is a lot of work needs to do, I think they really worth it because I can feel the progress I have. What is more, I think this module really improves my awareness of soft skills and that is why I say it is also a start. The module ends however the learning and improving never stops. I will always pay attention to my communication skills.
Last but not least, besides all the skills I have learnt, the people are also what I value the most. We work together, eat together and play together. We share our thoughts and feelings. I think it is an asset of my life!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Guo Chen!

    It's great to know that you have benefited so much from this module. Your written language has definitely improved since the start of your posts. :) I hope you won't find English an obstacle, because you are really fine. Believe me! Don't ever let this be a barrier alright? It's also heartening to know that this was where you had your first "English-speaking" project groupmates. At least you took the effort to step out of your comfort zone. Hopefully, this will entice you to branch out from your usual groupmates? Heh..

    Good luck for your exams!

    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a well organized, finely detailed review of your learning in ES2007S, Guo Chen. It's very satisfying for me to read about the areas where you feel that you garnered take away points that will be useful for you in the future. The quotation that you use in the intro is also very appropriate when we consider that there are many assignments in ES2007S that require effort, but that the skills learned might even be considered "assets" in the future.

    Thank you for all your hard work, a job well done! Best of luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guo Chen,

    I am delighted to know that you have actually took this interesting module to improve your soft skills. You have definitely much from this course as seen from your verbal analysis on the different skills that you have obtained within this short period of time.

    I also agree with Alvin that your written and spoken language skills have improved with leaps and bounds since the start of the course. This could be evident in the interesting posts you have put up and you have also demonstrated excellent presentation skills. I really admire the way how you keep your cool when asked to express your opinions in class.

    I will always regard you as my role model in striving for greater excellence. I hope that someday, we will have a nice chat over a leisurely breakfast or over a cup of coffee if ever we bumped into each other in the streets :D

    All the best in your future endeavors..! :D

    Regards,
    Sylvester

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Guo Chen,

    I think this is a very well-organized and insightful post. You have definitely improved so much on your writing and speaking.

    I would say you are a really brave and motivated person. It is very rare to see students taking up an extra modules with extra works to improve yourself. This is a very bold and excellent step that you have taken. Working with others and communication skill are definitely very important skills to have. By coming to this class, we have captured it all.

    It has been really wonderful having you in a class and as a blogging buddy. You have enriched the class community with your insights and thoughts. I wish you all the best for your future. Hope to see you around.

    Cheers,
    Billet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guo Chen,

    Stepping out of your comfort zone has brought you many benefits in terms of language proficiency.

    Standing out in an interview reminds me of the bell curve effect, where you need to better than everyone else. That's something to be worried about for me...

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Guo Chen!

    What I really like about your post is how you've organized it into clear sections, highlighting the different areas (and ways) in which you have benefitted from this course.

    I actually feel your oral communication is really good. In our occasional small-group discussions, you present your ideas clearly and succinctly; I have never had any problems understanding you. In fact I've often been greatly impressed by your insightful opinions and ability to think out-of-the-box.

    7Cs-wise, your writing has indeed improved since the start of the semester, as is evident from your blog-posts. Yet, you are humble about your achievements and only want to improve further. This in itself is highly commendable. (:

    I completely agree that the skills taught in this module are of immense importance, particularly for students close to graduation (like us!) Here's wishing you all the best with your future endeavors (job-hunting included!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Guo Chen,

    I love and attest to what you mentioned: that what is painful to endure, is usually the most valuable and unforgettable lesson in life! I had this favourite Chinese quote that I kept in mind. The gist of it was about the pain and struggles of a butterfly out of its cocoon. But finally when it does, its beauty in flight is simply breathtaking!

    I really love how Chinese language can bring out the essence of a story in merely a few words. I'm sure you are certainly better at it than I am! Mandarin being my second language, speaking fluently still remains a beautiful dream. On the other hand, I really admire you for the courage you've had to hone your skills and seek improvements.

    As a group member of the peer teaching group, your ideas are also always so refreshing and at points, so intelligent that it brings new insights. Within our free time, being able to talk about almost anything and I'm always happy after every conversation we make as I gain a lot intellectually from you.

    From seeing your marked improvements over the semester, and seeing that limitless potential of yours, I'm sure you'll be able to excel through interviews easily. Nonetheless, it has been a pity that you've not been able to join the group for a get-together meal. Miss Guo, I propose one after the exams and I beseech you to take my proposal into full consideration! :)

    ReplyDelete